Fighting Back Against Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
There is no greater tragedy than the knowledge that we have misplaced our trust in a nursing home or a long-term care facility. Our elderly relatives have placed their lives in our hands, and we do our best to afford them the best possible care by sending them to places where they can have companionship and around-the-clock care.
It is only when we begin to see changes in our loved one’s moods or behaviors that can we can begin to take action to correct the problems at the facility. One way we can help is to investigate our suspicions. Victims are often reluctant to admit they have suffered abuse or neglect, but there are warning signs:
- Rapid weight loss caused by dehydration or malnutrition
- Unexplained bruises or broken bones symptomatic of physical abuse
- Development of bed sores in patients who are immobile and bed-bound
- Inability to visit with a relative alone, without the supervision of an attendant
- Unreasonable use of physical restraints and forced isolation to punish patients
- Overuse of medications to keep patients sedated
- Evidence of sexual abuse by someone at the facility
- Verbal threats or harassment from other residents or staff
- Development of infections, that are sometimes left untreated
- Unsanitary or unclean conditions in a resident’s room or in the common areas
There is no greater advocate than an experienced nursing home neglect lawyer when you need help investigating a long-term care facility in New York.