Experienced Long Island Injury Attorneys Protecting Victims of School Negligence in New York
Dedicated to ensuring the safety of children in Suffolk and Nassau Counties and across Long Island
New York premises liability law holds every property owner or manager responsible for maintaining safe property and preventing injuries to visitors. The law holds schools to a high standard to ensure the safety of young people.
If your child sustains injuries in a school accident that you believe is due to negligence on the part of the school, schedule a free consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney at Jakubowski, Robertson, Maffei, Goldsmith & Tartaglia, LLP in Long Island. This can be an important first step in pursuing fair compensation for your damages — and helping to prevent similar acts of negligence in the future.
Common causes of injuries in schools
Although schools typically review and address issues that may affect the safety of the children entrusted to their care, children are still injured for many reasons:
- Lack of sufficient supervision, which can lead to bullying and fights.
- Improper maintenance, which can cause children to slip on wet surfaces inside or icy surfaces outside or to trip on objects left on classroom floors.
- Security issues, which can arise in many situations, such as when unauthorized individuals are allowed to pick children up from school.
Identifying negligence in schools
To prove negligence in schools, the law looks at the following four elements:
- The duty to protect entails maintaining a safe environment and providing the highest degree of supervision, in accordance with the age and special needs of the children.
- A reasonable standard of care requires determining how a reasonable teacher would act under similar circumstances, based on such factors as the age or disabilities of the child, the experience of the teacher, the type of activity, and the school environment.
- Proximate cause involves preventing injuries within foreseeable circumstances. Examples include guarding against accidents in sports activities and vigilance about bullying.
- Actual injury, either physical or mental, must have occurred and be proveable.
During your free consultation at the law firm of Jakubowski, Robertson, Maffei, Goldsmith & Tartaglia, LLP, we listen to your concerns and discuss the legal actions you may be able to take. If you have grounds for pursuing a school negligence claim, we can enlist our investigative resources and find out if school negligence can be proved to have caused the injury to your child. Every situation is different, and we have the experience to assist you.
Schedule a free consultation with an experienced Long Island personal injury lawyer to identify your legal options and get answers to your questions
At Jakubowski, Robertson, Maffei, Goldsmith & Tartaglia, LLP, we operate on a contingency fee basis, so you pay no attorney fees unless we help you secure compensation for your claim. To discuss your school negligence case and learn how we can help you, contact us online or call us at 631-360-0400.