Go to main navigation
969 Jericho Turnpike, St. James, NY 11780
FREE CONSULTATION - Call Our Firm Today 631-360-0400 631-263-3336 631-360-0400 631-263-3336

What to Do After Your Slip and Fall Accident

With winter weather in full swing, slipping, tripping and falling is more likely to happen than other times of year. If you’ve suffered injuries as a result of a slip and fall accident, compensation may be available. It’s important to talk to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

Here’s what to do if you suffer a slip and fall accident:

    • Collect witness contact information: First, ask other people in the area if they witnessed your accident. Many people are willing to provide eyewitness testimony later on. Try to collect their contact information.
    • Write down your experience: Next, if physically possible, write down or record how the accident occurred. Include as much detail as you can remember. If you have difficulty remembering, don’t worry. Accidents are traumatic. Simply write what you do know and let your attorney investigate to fill in any gaps.
    • Seek medical attention: It’s always wise to get medical help after any accidents. Sometimes, injuries are not apparent right away. Our bodies use adrenaline to get through accidents, which can mask symptoms. Try to see a doctor within three days—otherwise, defense counsel may argue that your injuries aren’t as severe as you claim.
    • Take photographs of the scene: If possible, take photographs of the accident scene, especially which conditions led to your fall. This is especially helpful before anyone can clean up or remove a slipping, tripping or falling hazard.
    • Take photographs of your injuries: As you heal from your injuries, keep a pain journal and take photos of the healing process. These details can go a long way toward proving the extent of your injuries—and what it’s taken to heal from them.
    • Make a report: Finally, make a report with the property manager or owner. Most commercial spaces, like grocery stores, have an accident report form at the ready. If you’re injured on another type of property, like a private home, your attorney can advise you as to the best course of action.

If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, help is available. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Jakubowski, Robertson, Maffei, Goldsmith & Tartaglia, LLP are standing by to assist you.